I am a great fan of Xiaomi devices. They provide a lot in really cheap price.
Two months ago I bought my third Redmi phone which is a Redmi Pro.
I was previously using the One Plus-X and that has a super performance, with no lag. The only problem was when I use two SIM cards, I can’t use a memory card. I used to take a lot of photos and videos which needs more space, so this became a problem.
So, I decided to get another phone and why not a budget phone then? After a lot of decision changing I jumped for the Redmi Pro. I bought it and I am still using it.
Why you should not buy this phone?
This is a budget friendly flagship from Xiaomi. The device itself isn’t bad, but the longer you are going to use it, the better you will understand this is not what you wanted.
The camera performance is not up to the mark. Low light photography is pretty bad.
The User Interface of the software is not good. They had only the Chinese version and once you can find an unofficial global version, you will find it buggy.
Rooting this device is not easy, you will need time. There are no official support for this Redmi Pro Chinese version.
After using this device, I have deiced that I am not going to buy any MTK based smartphone anymore.
How to root Redmi Pro
Now let’s come to the point, how you can install TWRP and root MTK6797 and MTK6797T Redmi Pro. We will install the TWRP to root the device.
To root the device requirements:
– Redmi Pro with China Developer ROM.
– Internet connection.
Your device must have unlocked bootloader. Normally the device comes with locked bootloader. To unlock it go to their official page, create and account if you do not have one. The send request for unlock code.
Normally it will take 1 day to get the code in your mail or in phone message.
01. Download these files:Download Redmi Pro TWRP Root pack
The zip contains the following files:
- Auto installer for adb commands, adb drivers and fastboot commands– these tools allow your PC to communicate with your mobile.
- Redmi Pro TWRP– The MTK6797 and MTK6797T Redmi Pro custom recovery used for rooting and flashing custom ROMs onto Redmi Pro.
- Redmi Pro root SuperSU.zip– The SuperSU.zip used for rooting MediaTek MT6797 and MT6797T Redmi Pro through TWRP recovery.
***Please remember to backup your device images, phone number and media files before attempting anything.
2. Install the adb drivers and fastboot commands
- Extract the zip file.
- Run “adb-setup.exe”.
- Hit “Y” to all three questions.
- The Google adb driver installer will then popup. Go ahead and allow and install.
3. Prepare your Xiaomi Redmi Pro
- Go to Settings >> About phone >> Tap “MIUI Version” seven times.
- Hit the back button to go to the main settings menu.
- Choose “Additional settings” >> “Developer options” >> “USB Debugging”.
- A warning will pop up. Go ahead and allow.
- Plug your phone to PC via USB cable.
- You should see a pop up request on your Redmi Pro to give your PC USB debugging permissions. Allow it.
The following video might help you:
04. Copy the TWRP and open the command window
- Open Windows Explorer and go to “c:/adb”.
- Copy “twrp-redmipro.img” to the location “c:/adb”.
- IN A BLANK SPACE on the same folder “c:/adb” (not on a filename etc…), hold SHIFT while RIGHT-CLICK
- Select “Open command window here”. You should then see the black command window open.
05. Boot into bootloader and fastboot flash the TWRP
- In the command window type “adb reboot bootloader”. Press Enter. Wait for sometime and you should then see your Redmi Pro rebotted into fast-boot mode. A mascot should appear.
- In the command window type “fastboot flash recovery twrp-redmipro.img”. press Enter.
- You should then see that the file has flashed successfully (OKAY). It all takes just some moment. If it do not show OK sign, then your device is still locked.
Sometime changing the USB port will help you to complete the step.
06. Booting into TWRP
- In the command prompt, type “fastboot reboot”. Do not hit Enter yet.
- Hold Volume Up on the Xiaomi Redmi Pro while hitting Enter on your PC.
- Continue holding Volume Up for about 30 seconds until you see TWRP has booted.
What to do if you get the TWRP in Chinese?
Sometimes you will get a TWRP with a Chinese menu. Most of the time this will happen. Then follow the steps bellow.
- Slide the slider to unlock in TWRP.
- Select 2nd column, 3rd row button.
- Select the globe icon at the top, that’s for language.
- Select English or any other language you want.
If you reboot into TWRP again, you might need to follow the language change procedure again.
07. Factory reset to get your phone storage correct
- Within TWRP, go to Mount >> Select Storage. If you see Internal Storage as zero megabytes, it means you must Factory Reset.
- TWRP main menu >> Wipe >> Format Data >> Type “yes” >> Hit the check button on the keyboard.
- Within TWRP, go to Mount >> Select Storage. You should now see Internal Storage as the correct MB.
08. Root your Xiaomi Redmi Pro
Now you have a working TWRP installed, you can easily root your Xiaomi Redmi Pro.
- Connect Redmi Pro to your PC.
- TWRP main menu >> Mount >> Mount USB storage. The Redmi Pro should then show up in Windows File Explorer under This PC / My Computer. (If do not show up, restart your phone by pressing the power and volume up button. Boot in normal mode.)
- Copy the SuperSU.zip from the zip downloaded earlier to the root of internal storage of your Redmi Pro. Do not unzip the SuperSU.
- In TWRP main menu >> Install
- Assuming you have the SuperSU.zip in the base of the internal storage, you should see it at /sdcard. If it is in another directory navigate to that directory.
- Select the SuperSU.zip
- Swipe to confirm the flash.
Now you should have TWRP and a rooted MTK6797 Helio X20 / MTK6797T Helio X25 Redmi Pro.
Do you want to install custom rom on the rooted device? Then the following links might help you.
Although I have seen the problem with custom rom. most of the time the apps get hang and the camera did not work.